Frequently Asked Questions - Financial Aid

  • Where do I begin?
  • What happens next?
  • When do I apply?
  • How do I know if I am eligible to receive financial aid?
  • How is financial need determined?
  • What state and federal financial aid programs are available?
  • What kind of scholarships can I apply for?
  • What happens if I withdraw?

  • Where do I begin?

    The fastest and easiest way to apply for federal financial aid is to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at You can avoid processing delays by using FAFSA on the Web because it helps to ensure that your information is complete. Both you and your parents can "sign" the application electronically by getting a PIN (Personal Identification Number) at If you do not have access to the Web, you can complete the enclosed FAFSA instead.

    To file the FAFSA, you will need:

  • A copy of your parents' and/or your most recent federal tax return.
  • The Bramson ORT College code number: 014662.
  • If you have any questions regarding the FAFSA, please call 718-261-5800 ext 643.

    [ Back To Top ]

    What happens next?

    Within a two-to six-week processing period (depending on whether you file using the Web or a paper application), you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail. The SAR will give you information about your eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant. You will also receive another financial aid form in the mail called the Electronic TAP application form. You will use this form to apply for TAP and other New York State award programs. Be sure to complete and return it to the Financial Aid Office in the envelope provided as soon as you receive it.

    [ Back To Top ]

    When do I apply?

    The sooner you file your aid application, the earlier you will be able to determine what additional monies you might need to cover your educational costs and put payment plans in place so that you can enroll without any delays.

    [ Back To Top ]

    How do I know if I am eligible to receive financial aid?

    In addition to documenting financial need for most programs, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Students who have permanent resident status must provide alien registration information.
  • You must be regularly admitted to, or enrolled at Bramson ORT College.
  • You must be enrolled full-time to be eligible for many types of scholarship and financial aid programs. This requires at least 12 credit hours per semester. Some types of aid, depending upon program restrictions and available funds, may be awarded to students enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours, usually 3 to 11 credit hours.
  • You cannot be in default of a previous student loan or owe a refund of financial aid previously received.
  • You cannot be convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs while receiving financial aid.
  • You must be registered with the selective (for males between the age of 18 to 25).

  • [ Back To Top ]

    What state and federal financial aid programs are available?

    Federal Pell Grants can be used to pay tuition, or if tuition is covered by other means, help cover book, supplies and transportation costs. To qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen enrolled in a Degree program and meet income criteria.Visit the Guide to Federal Student Aid at for more information.

    Academic Competitiveness Grants (ACG): Eligible students may receive a grant of up to $750 for the first academic year of study and up to $1,300 for the second. The funding for this program ends after the academic year.

    Federal Work Study: is a program that provides part-time jobs, both on and off-campus, to students who need additional financial aid.

    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG): assist exceptionally needy students by supplementing other forms of financial aid.

    Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): is a New York State grant that helps full-time students meet the cost of tuition. If you receive a TAP award, the money goes directly to Bramson ORT College for payment of tuition. To qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, have lived in New York State for at least one year prior to the first term for which you are seeking payment, and meet certain income and enrollment criteria.

    Aid for Part-Time Students (APTS): is a New York State tuition grant for students pursuing a Degree on a part-time basis. To qualify, you must be a New York State resident, be enrolled for at least six but fewer than twelve credits (including a minimum of three degree credits), meet certain income criteria, and may not have exhausted your undergraduate TAP eligibility.

    Federal Subsidized Direct Loans: are subsidized student loans for which the government pays the interest on the loan while you are in school. Eligibility is based on financial need.

    Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans: are available regardless of financial need but interest is not deferred until after you have completed your education, as is the case with a Subsidized Stafford Loan. The maximum amounts of combined subsidized and unsubsidized loans that freshman may request for the academic year are as follows:

  • Dependent Students: $5500
  • Independent Students: $9500

  • Private Education Loans: There are a number of private comppanies that offer loans for college with a variety of interest rates and conditions. It is important to compare interest rates, terms of repayment and prepayment penalties to be sure that all conditions can be met by the family.

    [ Back To Top ]

    How is financial need determined?

    Your financial need is defined as the difference between your Cost of Attendance as determined by the College and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your Cost of Attendance includes tuition, fees, books, supplies, transportation and living expense estimates determined by the Financial Aid Office. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is based on the financial information from your FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education calculates your EFC by comparing your income and assets against the standard cost of living allowances for the number of people in your household. Cost of Attendance – Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need. Your financial aid award will show the cost of tuition, minus any grants, scholarships and loans you will receive. The difference between these grants and tuition costs is what you will owe.

    Once the documented need is determined, awards are made based upon:

  • The student’s request for certain types of financial aid,
  • The amount of funds available for awarding, and
  • The student’s eligibility for such aid.

  • An eligible student is first considered for a scholarship and/or grant and then for the Federal Work-Study Program and/or a student loan, depending upon the student’s expressed preferences. Indicating a desire for other types of aid will not affect the amount of scholarship or grant awarded to any student. For most types of financial aid, students and/or parents may be required to submit copies of income tax forms or other documents that verify the information submitted in support of the financial aid application.

    [ Back To Top ]

    What kind of scholarships can I apply for?

    Bramson ORT Tuition Assistance Grants (BOTAG) are financial awards that are outright "gifts" which the student does not need to repay. While the amount of most awards is determined by a student's financial need, there are usually other criteria that must be met.

    Private Scholarships: Many organizations, fraternal societies, unions, high schools, and religious groups offer scholarships. Most of these private scholarships require that students meet organization specific criteria to qualify. Please visit the or for a complete list of scholarships.

    Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF): offers different scholarship programs for students of various educational backgrounds, with awards ranging from $1,000 to $2,500. All applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents of Hispanic heritage.

    [ Back To Top ]

    What happens if I withdraw?

    Bramson ORT College is required by law to pro-rate the amount of federal financial aid that must be returned to Federal Aid Programs for students who officially withdraw (through the Registrar's Office) prior to attending 60% of a semester. The percentage of aid retained, less an administrative fee of $100.00, will be applied towards the institutional charges. This situation may leave the student with a balance due the College because institutional charges are separately calculated which should be referenced in the "Refund" section of the Catalog. The order in which the refunds are applied to the federal programs is: Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Plus Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, other Title IV Aid Programs, other federal sources of aid, other state, private, or institutional aid. The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award is based on tuition charged, therefore, a reduction of tuition will result in a decrease of the TAP award.

    Faculty members are no longer required to record attendance in class. However, they are required to report students with academic problems, including non-attendance. For purposes of calculating tuition charges, all students are considered registered for courses unless they officially withdraw. For further information on official withdrawals and leaves of absence, please refer to those sections in the Bramson ORT College Catalog. Upon official withdrawal from all classes before 60% of a semester has elapsed, the amount of financial aid, grants, and loans that a student may apply towards the charges for that semester will be calculated based upon the percent of time the student attended classes as mandated by the Return to Title Four Regulations of the U.S Department of Education.

    [ Back To Top ]