Some key statistics that highlight the growing need in STEM education
- 10.9M total of expected number of STEM occupations in the U.S. by 2031
- 70% of all STEM occupations are related to Computer Science and Information Services
- More than half of school districts in the U.S. are facing a shortage of qualified STEM teachers
- Only 21% of Computer Science & 19% of Engineering major in U.S are Americans
- 400% – magnitude by which Russia is exceeding U.S. in the number of STEM graduates
- 800% – magnitude by which China is exceeding U.S. in the number of STEM graduates
*This report is a clear wake-up call linking the future of the US economy as well as its role in the world marketplace to the success of STEM education.Start journey
WHY the emphasis on STEM education?
In their annual assessment of Fiscal Year 2020-2021 US Defense Industrial Capabilities, the Pentagon has identified lack of quality STEM education as one of the most important and systemic national security risks. To be specific, the report cited that “Today’s education pipeline is not providing the necessary software engineering resources to fully meet the demand from commercial and defense sectors, and resources required to meet future demands continue to grow… Decades of neglect have left the robust system of technical schools the nation once relied upon for industrial training badly weakened and the existing workforce is rapidly aging out, taking irreplaceable tacit knowledge with them…
WHY Bramson ORT Institute of Technology’s STEM Program
In response to the Pentagon’s alarming report to Congress in January 2021, and in view of the shortage of quality STEM curricula in the United States, Bramson ORT has developed and successfully launched a state-of-the-art STEM Education Program.
Bramson ORT is uniquely positioned to leverage its over 80 years of experience in career and technical education to deliver a unique STEM Program that simultaneously addresses two spectrums of the STEM education dilemma:
- Shortage of quality education that integrates Computer Science, modern technology, and engineering into its curriculum for high school students, and:
- Shortage of qualified teachers who are equipped to implement a modern STEM curriculum.
Bramson ORT has developed an immersive certification program, coupled with on-going access to dedicated STEM teachers and mentors. Our STEM Teacher Training and Professional Development (STTPD) course provides core competencies required for effective implementation of any STEM curriculum, including:
- Fostering inclusivity
- Creating and managing a STEM-specific student-centered classroom learning environment
- Teaching project-based learning (PBL)
- Making the vision of Next Generation Science Standards come alive in the classroom
- Teaching STEM using 5E Instructional Model
- Identifying and integrating the right technologies that enhances learning
- Reinforcing effective communication skills
- Assessing student learning
- Facilitating learning outside of classroom setting
- Science fundamentals
- Engineering skills
- Digital literacy
Teachers who take our STEM Teacher Training and Professional Development will receive ample support from our STEM Teachers and will have access to additional material during the course.
The Bramson ORT STEM Program has been designed by a group of educators and industry practitioners with diverse expertise:
Our STEM Program creator with 40+ years of academic, scientific and PV Solar Energy development.
Our STEM curriculum developer and teacher with 30+ years of Optical Physics engineering and teaching.
A Chief Academic Officer with 30+ years of experience in higher education and technical career training.
A Computer Science Engineer who is Head of Business Systems and Development at a top 10 global firm.
The unique quality of the Bramson ORT STEM Program was recognized and fully certified by The New York Academy of Sciences.
About New York Academy of Sciences STEM Certification
STEM education is more important than ever—and yet little objective information exists to help decision-makers identify high-quality materials. The New York Academy of Sciences STEM Certification Program addresses this need by reviewing and certifying materials aligned with our STEM Education Framework.
- Recognition that our materials reflect best practices
- Official New York Academy of Sciences certification seal for use in promotional materials & recognition on the NYAS website
- Promotional opportunities through the Global STEM Alliance, a coalition of more than 250 partners in 100 countries and regions around the world
Feedback from Principals and High schools Science Teachers
Our STEM Program has been met with excitement and praise from academia. The common thread and feedback: the program is unique, because it is the only STEM program in the country that offers a truly comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to STEM learning, interweaving each of the STEM content areas into one year-long, project-based course. It provides a template for how STEM education should be taught in this country.
What’s more, our Teacher-Training program not only prepares teachers on how to teach and understand STEM education as a multidisciplinary approach, but it also covers most proficiencies of professional development for teachers.
Teachers who take our STEM Teacher Training and Professional Development (STTPD) course, and finish it satisfactorily, will receive a Certified STEM Teacher certificate.
Develop these skills
Learn new skills, pursue your interests or advance your career with our short online courses.
The Benefits of Online Courses at Bramson Ort
Learn Flexibly Online, Around the World
Develop valuable skills with a short, online STEM teaching course wherever you are. Start learning for free, on desktop, tablet or mobile.
Upgrade or Subscribe to Unlimited Extra Benefits
Buy a course upgrade for ongoing access to the course content, tests, and the chance to gain a Certificate of Achievement. Subscribe to Unlimited for access to hundreds of short courses and the ability to keep access to courses you gain a certificate on.
Meet STEM Teaching Experts
Learn with experts from top international universities. Learn with STEM teachers all over the world.